Ragging in any form, at any place or time is a Cognizable offence that will attract severe punishment including summary expulsion from the College/Institution/University.
Extract of Tamil Nadu Govt. Gazette-Extra ordinary of 29.1.1997 (Bill No.8 of 1997 Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Ragging Act).
1. In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, “Ragging” means display of noisy, disorderly conduct, doing any act which causes or is likely to cause physical or psychological harm or raise apprehension or fear or shame or embarrassment to a student in any educational institution and includes:
(a) Teasing, abusing or playing practical jokes on or causing hurt to such, student, or
(b) Asking the students to do anything or perform something which such student will not, in the ordinary course willingly act or perform.
2. Ragging within or outside any educational institution is prohibited.
3. Whoever directly or indirectly commits, participated in, abets or propagates “Ragging” within or outside any educational institution, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to and a fine upto ten thousand rupees.
4. Any student convicted of an offence under section 3 shall also be dismissed from the educational institution and such student shall not be admitted in any other educational institution.
5. Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions, whenever any student complains of ragging to the head of an educational institution, or to any other person responsible for the management of the educational institution, such head of the educational institution or person responsible for the management of the educational institution shall inquire into the same immediately and if found true shall suspend the student, who has committed the offence, from the educational institution.
If reported he / she shall be summarily terminated from the college for ragging.